Friday, March 27, 2009

Krogering

For budgeting purposes we start our new week on Fridays, and I spent about half of this week's budget tonight at Kroger. I felt reckless, shopping without coupons and paying full-price for things! However, we just found out this evening that some family members are coming over tomorrow to help us with painting at the new house, so I figured feeding them a hearty meal is the least I can do. :-) I plan to cook the roast in the slow-cooker with some peppers and italian seasoning, then shred it for sandwiches and top them with the provolone cheese. Since I have to work all day tomorrow and hubby will be busy watching the kiddos and/or painting, the slow-cooker is definitely the way to go!

Here's what I bought tonight:
beef chuck roast 5.19
2 pkgs Cocoa Via chocolate covered almonds 2.68 (on clearance)
sliced provolone cheese 2.19
Yoplait kids' yogurt 2.38
hamburger buns 1.00
italian dressing (2 packets dry mix & cruet) 2.49
bananas 1.08
Total spent $17.01, leaving us with $22.99 in this week's budget.

I would normally make my own salad dressing mix, rather than buying the packets. However, I've been wanting a cruet to mix up my own vinaigrettes and store them, so I gave in tonight and bought it.

The chocolate-covered almonds were definitely an indulgence, but I'll take them to work and stash them in my desk to keep me from visiting the vending machine. Two different times this week I gave in to cravings and spent 80 cents for a pack of peanut M&Ms. Each of the boxes I bought tonight has five individual packets, so this should be much better for the budget.

No comments: