Monday, February 9, 2009

Oatmeal-Carrot Bread

My children are not good about eating their vegetables, so I've been looking for ways to sneak them into our meals. I checked out Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld and The Sneaky Chef by Missy Chase Lapine from the library last week. I wasn't too impressed with either book, but they did inspire me to come up with a quick bread recipe with carrot puree. This makes a dense, not-too-sweet bread that we've been enjoying for breakfast and snacks.

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp chopped sunflower seeds or chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup pureed cooked carrots (or unsweetened applesauce)
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease three mini loaf pans or one standard loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, combine milk and oats; let sit for 10-15 minutes, then beat in egg, oil, carrot puree, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until combined.

Spoon batter into loaf pan(s) until 2/3 full. I used mini loaf pans and baked for 20 minutes. I would guess if you're using a standard loaf pan it will need to bake for about 40 minutes. Bread is done when it starts to pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

For more great recipes, take a look at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I have been looking for a way to use pureed carrots. This is great. Thanks.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Very clever and yummy. I am so glad you joined us for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this will lead you to make your own sneaky book :D

Live.Love.Eat said...

Clever! My son doesn't like veggies either.

Brenda said...

I love the title of your blog! This bread looks like something we would enjoy.

Abby said...

This sounds great. My son is a pretty good veggie eater but I love finding ways to sneak more veggies in when I can! I have the Seinfeld cookbook. I have found a few things I like in there, but not everything.

akawest said...

Sounds like a winner, even for folks who like veggies.