Aunt Millie's whole grain English muffins .90/6 pack
Banquet brown & serve sausage .90/10 links
8 oz block of Kraft 2% cheddar cheese 1.66
The sausage and english muffins regularly go on sale as part of Meijer's 11/$10 promotion, and we always stock up when they do. Eggs are regular price, and Kroger frequently has their brand of cheese or Kraft available at that price.
Here's my workflow to make a sandwich in 5 minutes:
- heat small nonstick skillet over medium & spritz with nonstick spray
- put muffin in toaster
- put 1 link of sausage in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on medium
- crack egg directly into skillet and stir to scramble (I see no need to dirty up an extra bowl for this! I use a small plastic fork so it won't scratch the pan when I stir.)
- put a lid on the egg and get sausage out of microwave and cheese out of fridge
- chop or crumble sausage
- slice or shred cheese if using a block (I use my veggie peeler to shave off a few thin slices. I calculated based on 1/2 oz of cheese.)
- sprinkle sausage and cheese over egg
- cover pan and finish cooking until egg is set and cheese is melted
- remove muffin from toaster, top with egg, and enjoy!
(I really need to work on my food photography skills! Anyone have any tips?)
Visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Kitchen Tip Tuesday, and the Tasty Tuesday Blog Party for more great tips and recipes!